The Logic Lifeline

A logical approach to sorting out world events. Where logic, opinion and speculation are combined to produce a reasoned, but entertaining reading experience. The unofficial hometown conservative blog of Woodridge, Il

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

An Honest Answer Brings Ridicule for Mitt Romney

I heard Hugh Hewitt talking ridicule Mitt Romney for identifying his favorite novel as "Battlefield Earth" by L. Ron Hubbard. Powerline Blog is also getting into the act wondering why he did not choose a classic like "Huckleberry Finn" byMark Twain.

The disdain placed upon Romney's choice makes me wonder if either Hugh Hewitt or Scott Johnson have even read the book. Scott Johnson mistakenly calls the book "Battleship Earth", so I have a feeling I am on to something. Hugh Hewitt centered his criticism around the fact that it was written by the founder of Scientology and that the movie was considered one of the worst.

I have read "Battlefield Earth" and thought it was fascinating. Without giving too much away, I thought it was impressive that at one point in the book it could actually have ended cleanly. Hubbard, however, extends the story into almost a whole new book. It is not a work worthy of the ridicule being placed on it. I have others in my favorite column, but this book was recommended to me by a friend and I did not regret reading it.

I count Romney's choice as a positive. Many politicians when answering what their favorite novel is would select an unrealistic selection based on the desire to benefit politically. Unless Romney is after the Scientology vote, I think he gave an honest response and not a politically calculated one.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger Incognito said…

    People forget that L. Ron Hubbard was a Sci-Fi writer before he founded the Church of Scientology.

    People are just looking for anything to discredit, Romney, and they'll eventually7find other ways of dsicrediting any of the Repub. candidates.

     
  • At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The book may be outstanding. Sadly, my bias against the Scientologist would never allow me to read it. But at least I'm willing to admit it.

    I could care less that Romney chose this as his "favorite" book. But I think that it does show a lack of self-perception. People are willing to ignore all of his positive traits to simply focus on the fact that he is a mormon. Then he goes and gives them an example of something even more marignalizing that the Church of LDS.

    Its a small thing, and it certainly wouldn't sway my vote one way or the other.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home