The Logic Lifeline

A logical approach to sorting out world events. Where logic, opinion and speculation are combined to produce a reasoned, but entertaining reading experience. The unofficial hometown conservative blog of Woodridge, Il

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Weekend in Door County Paradise

This last weekend Olive Oyl and I spent some time in Door County, Wisconsin. It was a five hour drive, but it was well worth it. We had received a 2 day getaway at a resort there as part of a larger purchase last year. It was about to expire and I finally set the date. We were supposed to go with some friends, but they had to cancel at the last minute. The accommodations can house up to eight people, so my wife and I were swallowed up in the place. The picture you see is one of the buildings, where we had one half. I don't think we have ever stayed in a nicer place.

Door County is a mix of beautiful scenery and tourist attractions. Just before you get to Green Bay, WI a large peninsula juts out into Lake Michigan. Much of this is Door County. We toured Fish Creek, Ephraim and Ellison Bay. There were many beautiful sights to see with some nice overlooks into the lake. We also saw the beginning of the leaves changes to fall colors.

Saturday night we ate dinner at an unusual restaurant. Al Johnson's is a Swedish restaurant that has an unusual roof. On top of the wood, there a layer of dirt and grass that looks like a nicely manicured lawn. I did not get the history behind this, but think it is some Swedish tradition. The dinner was a nice touch to a very nice weekend. I would highly recommend Door County for either a Summer or Autumn visit.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At 7:49 AM, Blogger SkyePuppy said…

    Sounds fabulous. I always wondered what there was to do in Wisconsin besides paint your face green and watch football.

    I'm glad you had a chance to get away and relax with Olive.

     
  • At 7:56 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    Wisconsin is an excellent staple state of good things to do and see. Illinois on the other hand is quite boring. We do have a few hidden gems, though and I can't believe it is as boring as Iowa or Nebraska.

     
  • At 8:55 AM, Blogger SkyePuppy said…

    AICS,

    I asked a friend, who is from Nebraska, what there is to see in that state. She said every March the Sandhill Cranes come to the Platte River for several weeks on their migration. Hundreds of thousands of them--very impressive.

    Also, she said the Omaha Zoo (in order to protect the animals from the winter) has multi-story buildings, with each floor as a complete, separate habitat. It sounded pretty cool to me.

    So there you have it. Nebraska has two tourist attractions, just like Illinois.

    I have no idea about Iowa.

     
  • At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Son, I am disappointed in your saying Illinois is boring.
    Dad and I have had several Illinois excursions that were very enjoyable. Civil War reenactment, Abraham Lincoln Village, Springfield, etc.
    Mom

     

Post a Comment

<< Home