The Logic Lifeline

A logical approach to sorting out world events. Where logic, opinion and speculation are combined to produce a reasoned, but entertaining reading experience. The unofficial hometown conservative blog of Woodridge, Il

Monday, September 04, 2006

Around the World Browsing

If you are like me you frequently run into days when you do not have much time to browse for current events. I have developed a system that I call "Around the world browsing". It is designed to get the maximum information on current events in the shortest amount of time. I have a small collection of staple links that if really in a bind for time can deliver within 15 minutes of fast clicking and speed reading a good idea of what is going on in a given day. I of course like to spend a little more time than that. If I have more time, I use my "Around the World browsing" system as a launching pad.

A broad spectrum source of current events.
Although he gets pummeled by many, the DrudgeReport by Matt Drudge is the most comprehensive, broad spectrum source of current events in one click that I have found. For those who would balk because it is Matt Drudge, I would point out that 98% of anything available on his site is simply a link to the work of others. The rest are his exclusives and also his unique labels to the links he adds. I think the real problem most people have with the site is that Drudge was the man who broke the story about the infamous "stained" dress of Monica Lewinsky. Anyway, the DrudgeReport has at least 25-30 current events links at any given time. They range from the critical to the curious and across the categories of news, sports, religion, life, finance, and fashion. DrudgeReport has been my first click for over 5 years now.

A productively prolific blogger who frequently posts on the items I am interested in
Everyone needs to find their own set of 1-3 blogs that have many posts each day and tend to zero in on topics that interest them. Browsing is about what interests the browser and about information, so this step is critical to stay interested. Many blogs crank out a lot of dull posts. For the time challenged, it simply is not worth it to dig among rubbish to find a diamond during your routine. That kind of stuff is for the days you have a few hours to browse away. My three prolific bloggers I turn to in my routine are:

CaptainsQuartersBlog
MichelleMalkin
HughHewitt or Powerline (not both during the quick days, so I alternate)

CaptainsQuarters is a great blog. Captain Ed truly does the world a service with his insightful well written posts. He truly has a grasp of world events and the inner workings of politics that spices his posts with rich flavor. An added bonus is his link to the interesting Day by Day comic strip. For newcomers, a trip to the comics archives is advised.

Michelle Malkin is a very feisty person in her personal interviews and in her blog. She has a great set of resources that keep her well informed. Her posts pack a punch that is a great supplement to my morning coffee in terms of wake-up power.

Hugh Hewitt is absolutely great on the radio. His background and experience in both government and law gives a broadened perspective to the things he says and writes. While I don't think his blog is on par with his show, it is still worth reading. I think with being a law professor, a radio talk host, an author, and a blogger (and I think he sits on a board or two) makes him a very busy man.

Powerline has an advantage of three contributing members. Based in Minnesota made them an interesting base for the exciting Senate elections of Norm Coleman (MN) and John Thune (SD). Being lawyers, this blog (as well as Hugh Hewitt's) has been a great asset when flamboyant claims of illegal actions by the Bush administration are thrown around.

Check in with a few of my favorite blogs who like me only have time for 1-3 posts on any given day
After digesting the bulk of current events through the links listed above, I like to settle down and see what a few of my favorite smaller operation blogs (like mine) have to say. I have four and depending on the the volume and subject matter of the other links, I at least hit 2-3 and catch the others later.

Political Yen/Yang

MalottsBlog
SkyePuppy
Texas Rainmaker

Political Yen/Yang by LASunsett is always an interesting read. LA is very informed, and an excellent writer. LA has an uncanny ability to encourage new bloggers and was instrumental in keeping me going in the early days when very few came and fewer still wrote comments. I used to have a lesser opinion of those who took the label "moderate". After reading his perspective, I am come to a different understanding and a higher respect at least for some who are in that category.

Malott's Blog written by Chris Malott - a confirmed bachelor and gardener extroardinaire; is a unique blend of serious commentary, way out humor, world events, religious topics and last but not least: bachelor and gardener tips. The world really needs to get to know this man who at the zenith of his Senatorial write-in campaign in Indiana penned the famous slogan: "Malott for Senate...Why Not!"

SkyePuppy is another eclectic blog covering a spectrum of topics. SkyePuppy holds a special place in my heart as she seems to love everything I write. Every creative writer should have such a faithful cheerleader. On her blog whatever topic she selects for a given day (be it world events, history, science, etc.) she does a great job at digging deeply into the topic and writing something meaningful.

TexasRainmaker by Jason Smith has some very good bite to his posts. While he is not very prolific, what he does write is exceptional. The headline of his blog is what lead me to bookmark him stating, "Every morning when I wake up I read the Bible and the Newspaper...because I want to know what both sides are up to."

Elective supplements to round things out
Everyone should have a few supplements they then add to their usual routine. It may be some site that writes things you might agree with. Or to make it interesting it may contain information you may not agree with. Some sites that tend to write posts often that are from a different perspective than mine are:

Peace4Palestine
OstroyReport
MeretesWorld
Joe Schmoe's blog
FKAB's Blog

With the exception of OstroyReport, these blogs are written by frequent readers of the Logic Lifeline. We carry vastly different viewpoints but I consider them friends. To confine yourself to an ideological bubble robs us of the opportunity to challenge ourselves if our beliefs are rooted in sound knowledge or because that is all we have been exposed to.

Peace4Palestine is written by one who has strong Middle East roots. Housewife provides insight into the Palestinian/Israeli conflict and into Islam itself. Our perspectives are different as night and day and our first encounters were quite energetic. Since then we have become friends in spite of our differences. She is always available to ask questions in those tough areas we Westerners have trouble grasping.

FKAB is a confirmed atheist who ridicules all forms of organized religion. He often aligns religious belief to the erroneous belief in a Flying Spagetti Monster. In spite of our differences, he does rightly point out how people I may agree with often write very silly arguments to support their belief. For a completely opposing viewpoint to faith, this is the spot. If you have thin skin or are not secure in your faith, you may want to abstain.

Merete and Joe are frequent commenters here. They don't have many posts, but the ones they have are in high gear. I think they both hate George Bush twice as much as I like him. Combined with Andy Ostroy, they commonly compare or allude to Bush and Hitler in the same breath. Andy, however, unlike the others is a strong supporter of Israel.

I of course have many links of those more in line with my ideology that I can suplement with as time permits. The important thing is to reduce the likelihood of an important current event being missed.

News? What's news?
You may notice that my "Around the World Browsing" routine does not include any news. This does not mean I do not view news. This is a routine to gather information on world events. Sadly, the News does a very poor job of this. For example, every news source has a list of about 6 leading news items. Supposedly these are the most critical items of the day. Either we have a very boring world, or they do a very poor job at prioritizing the news. Last week the actions of Tropical Storm Ernesto qualified for the top 6 on most news sites.

News does play a significant role. More and more, however, it is to supply blogs with launching pads for posting topics and support. Blogs play a significant role by their massive research efforts by scouring all of the news and digesting it into a more proper priority list of current events.

In summary, regardless of which exact links you choose for your routine; you too can use this system for a quick around the world browsing experience. I of course read many other sources and often, but for a daily routine to get the most the fastest this is what works for me.

13 Comments:

  • At 3:12 PM, Blogger HRM Deborah of Israel and the Messenger of Peace said…

    AICS,

    Thank you. :)

     
  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger Joe Smoe: American Citizen said…

    Hey Buddy,
    Thanks for the mention.

    Rock on!!!

     
  • At 3:41 PM, Blogger SkyePuppy said…

    AICS,

    Thanks! You're one of my daily reads too.

     
  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger SkyePuppy said…

    THANK YOU, RWA, FOR BRINGING YOUR OWN SPECIAL BLEND OF FEEL-GOOD CRAPOLA!!!

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger LA Sunset said…

    Leave it to RWA to spoil everyone's "Kumbaya" moment. Can't take him anywhere.

    Thanks for the mention, AICS. You are becoming a blogmeister. Keep up the good work, sir.

     
  • At 10:19 PM, Blogger SkyePuppy said…

    RWA,

    There's that teeny-tiny matter of I'm too old for the military. WAAAYYY too old.

    And you're a fine one to throw around the "chickenhawk" label while you make judgments about the success or failure of our military operations. Unless you served...

    Have you?

     
  • At 10:28 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    All,

    You are welcome for my mentions. Something about holidays gives me a different tone. So I wanted to share my method and give my friends a good lift too.

    Of course someone has to come on like a bull in a china shop and spoil the moment.

    LA, thanks for the compliment. Things are coming along. Of course, usually when most traffic hits is when I am too busy to add much here.

    Funny but I added the post about Mike Malloy just as a little ditty. That has by far been the post with the most traffic. I have had over 200 hits on that little post.

    And the posts I labor over most...:(

     
  • At 5:08 AM, Blogger LA Sunset said…

    Skye,

    //And you're a fine one to throw around the "chickenhawk" label while you make judgments about the success or failure of our military operations. Unless you served...

    Have you?//


    Come on now Skye. A communist heathen serve in the military? Surely, you jest. ;)

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Blogger SkyePuppy said…

    LASunset,

    I would take RWA's capital letters a little more seriously if he really did serve.

    That said, I don't expect an affirmative answer, so his capital letters will retain their (ahem!) same stature in my eyes.

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger SkyePuppy said…

    RWA,

    My mama raised me to be polite, and most of the time I manage it. I have to admit that right now is one of those times when it's sorely tempting to ignore her instruction.

    You use the word, "chickenhawk," as though it's a legitimate argument, when it's not.

    Constitutional lesson:

    Our military is run by the CIVILIAN government. The military takes its direction and missions from the CIVILIAN government. We as a nation of, primarily, CIVILIANS help give our CIVILIAN leaders the support and (where needed) correction regarding military actions.

    So your whole chickenhawk argument falls flat on its face, because I--as a CIVILIAN--am one of the very ones most qualified to comment on what our military is doing. You are too, by the way, and nobody's telling you to shut the heck up about it.

    You love to call Bush a "draft dodger," when he lawfully joined the National Guard. Dick Cheney lawfully got deferments. If they qualify as draft dodgers, what do you call the illustrious former President Clinton?

    Please, drop the chickenhawk rhetoric and make some pertinent points instead. I'd enjoy a real discussion a whole lot better than just reading your chickenhawk name-calling that has no bearing on anything.

     
  • At 7:25 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    SkyePuppy,

    Give it up. I remain convinced he is being paid by Karl Rove to make Bush critics look ridiculous.

     
  • At 9:59 PM, Blogger Return to Westernesse said…

    Skyepuppy,

    Great point about the "chickenhawk" and "draft-dodger" arguments! Once in a while people like RWA need a history/grammar lesson. But no matter how reasonable and logical your points are, RWA will not give an inch or even respond sensibly to your statements, because reasoned debate is not his objective.

     
  • At 7:25 PM, Blogger Merete said…

    Thanks for mentioning me too :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home