The Logic Lifeline

A logical approach to sorting out world events. Where logic, opinion and speculation are combined to produce a reasoned, but entertaining reading experience. The unofficial hometown conservative blog of Woodridge, Il

Saturday, April 29, 2006

NYT Starts Off Good News With a Sucker Punch

Yet another mouth organ for the Democratic Party is insisting on watering down good economic news with bad. Recently I posted about USA Today, a long time Dem water carrier, mixing high new home sales with bad news.

Now the Grey Lady must have really scratched their heads and wrung their hands about just how they could portray a great 4.8% growth for the GDP in the first quarter. They finally decided a good sucker punch in the beginning of the story would do just the job. Here is the leading paragraph:
Gas prices are rising, as are mortgage rates. House prices in many once-hot markets have started slipping. The American automobile industry shows no sign of recovery. And the paychecks of most workers have not even kept up with inflation over the last four years.
While the title of the column claims the economy is expanding, I think most people would read this first paragraph and assume they read the title wrong and move on thinking "Yeah, tell me about it." This must be the hope of the author, because for a liberal it gets "worse". The news gets even better when they look under the hood at how the conomy is doing better. Some think the economy is simply being driven by a few lucky industries while the rest are suffering. The next section talks about the economy diversifying:

The industries leading the way are ones that have been receiving far less attention than cars or real estate, though they have been adding thousands of new workers each month. In the last year, hospitals, doctors' offices and other health care employers have created almost 300,000 jobs; restaurants have added 230,000; and local governments — including schools — have added 170,000.

"The good news for the U.S. is that growth has diversified," said Nariman Behravesh, chief economist at Global Insight, an economic research firm. "We aren't just relying on the consumer and housing."

A diverse economy is a great sign of strength because a couple of bad turns in one industry doing well doesn't take down the whole economy. This economy is showing so much strength in so many areas. In fact the issue on everyone's mind, gas prices, are an undeniable indicator that this economy is doing well. So well that we are consuming a lot of fuel making demand challenge the supply limits. If Democrats were running Washington you can bet that these mouth organs would be shouting news of this economy on the rooftops. Instead every piece of good news must be watered down, distorted or some other tactic rather than just letting it stand alone. For once I would love to see good economic news without the circus antics.

20 Comments:

  • At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The U.S. Economy is collapsing, welcome to another Great Depression reminiscent of the 1930’s. This time with the deficit so high, it will take several life times to ever recover.

     
  • At 1:13 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    Interesting. An anonymous poster with n blog of your own and no support provided for such bold statements.

    I can only conclude this is your wish rather than reality.

    And remember, if the US economy goes, the rest of the world economy goes.

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What should I do write you a book and lay it out for you and then lead your sorry ass to water and hope you drink. I am not your Mother, if you can’t understand the new banking laws and the flexibility of the Stock Market you really are dumber then your blog page!

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Blogger LA Sunset said…

    anonymous,

    I wonder if you have ever read an ounce of history about the Great Depression. Because if you have, it does not show.

    Did you know that during the great depression, unemployment was 25%. Today it's under 5%. I could go on with much more contrasting, but I am sure you don't want to hear it. It appears that all you want to do is make snide remarks about something that you clearly demonstrate that you know very little about.

     
  • At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have never seen more blinded or more stupid people then you American's, Oh I forget your educational system is going to the dogs!

     
  • At 8:31 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    I have never seen more blinded or more stupid people then you American's, Oh I forget your educational system is going to the dogs!

    I agree, but it does not apply to me. I went to a private school and have a great education.

    As for this anonymous business, why don't you post as yourself. We both know who you are.

     
  • At 4:23 AM, Blogger LA Sunset said…

    I have never seen more blinded or more stupid people then you American's, Oh I forget your educational system is going to the dogs!

    It certainly failed you, anonymous.

     
  • At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LASunsett, "It certainly failed you, anonymous," I am not American!

    Nor would I wish to see your filthy country!

    As for my education, I have been to some of the finest educational establishments in the world.

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    As for my education, I have been to some of the finest educational establishments in the world.

    You told me this when you were not anonymous. We both know who you are. You do like to play games don't you?

     
  • At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am a Saudi Arabian Diplomat for the UN. And you are just proving to me your limited abilities.

    I do not know who you think I was, but you just made me laugh at your stupidity.

     
  • At 2:29 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    Now it is my turn to laugh. If you are who you say you are, why are you wasting your time on my little blog that has very little exposure?

    Ok, assuming you are who you say you are: do you agree with me that the UN is worthless? If not, what purpose does it serve?

     
  • At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As far as I am concerned you are toilet paper, but you happened to disrespect someone who deserves a great honor.

    As for telling you anything, I will no longer waste my time on you because you are nothing to me.

    As for giving my opinion if you double check you will find that when I did you sick animal's insulted me.

    If I had my way I would flush the toilet paper down my toilet.

    Hasbiyallah

     
  • At 5:44 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    Respect goes both ways diplomat. So does disrespect. I am not impressed with your position, nor concerned with your opinion. As for giving your opinion, you expected us to react well to your "prediction" of a Great Depression", which is not based on reality but your wish out of your hatred of us? I also will waste no more time on you.

     
  • At 10:18 PM, Blogger LA Sunset said…

    Saudi diplomat?

    Right.

    My uncle plays lead guitar for The Who, too.

     
  • At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If this so-called diplomat handles his job with as much diplomacy as he does his posting on web blogs, it's no wonder that peace negotiations in the middle-east seem to go nowhere.

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    LA & r2w,

    Thank you both for giving me a great laugh. Like the old cartoon says, "on the Internet nobody knows you're a dog". This time we do.

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That Saudi Diplomat was an idiot.

     
  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    rose kennedy,

    Welcome. I think this is your first comment. Hope you come back.

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
    »

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home