The Logic Lifeline

A logical approach to sorting out world events. Where logic, opinion and speculation are combined to produce a reasoned, but entertaining reading experience. The unofficial hometown conservative blog of Woodridge, Il

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Hostility to religion often looks quite foolish these days

WorldNetDaily is reporting a story that boggles the mind. Most religions encourage the propigation of their beliefs to others. Sometimes this is done ways that are less than acceptable. Often though it is done very tactfully. The Gospel tract is one of those ways that can be very low key and discreet. A simple offer of something to read. Accepting the tract, reading the tract and believing the words on the tract are all optional. Some who are hostile to all or specific religions, though, go berserk even at this simple offering. You know, the Michael Newdow types.

I have seen some very creative tracts. Apparently, somebody has come out with one that resembles a $1 million dollar bill yet has the gospel on the back. WND reports of a man in a wheelchair offering what service he can to God was passing out these $1 million dollar tracts when a secret service agent stops him and threatens him with arrest for distributing counterfeit money. In addition, the secret service confiscated over 8000 of these tracts.

It gets worse. When a Christian groups asks a judge to order the return of the tracts, the judge rules against it. Bascially, this is both a ridiculous and hostile scenario for the following reasons:

  • There is no actual $1million dollar bill in our currency
  • The bills have clear diffences to real currency including the gospel on the back (sheesh, and they complained about "In God we Trust")
  • The legal test is whether a reasonable person would be deceived (let's see it's a 1 million dollar bill and being given away free. Yeah, I can see somebody falling for it)
  • Toys 'R Us has been selling 1 million dollar bills for years.
  • Most businesses won't take bills over a $50 so what is the concern?
This is so blatantly hostile to a religious group that it out to be quite embarrassing to even the most stringent anti-religious person. Why do I post about this? To point out how low some will go to harrass religion. Some often wonder why religious groups are so aggressive to protect their rights. This is case in point at how things would be as the "norm" if not aggressively defended against.

12 Comments:

  • At 6:46 PM, Blogger SkyePuppy said…

    Great post.

    I posted on this myself, and afterwards I saw one of the novelty companies' million-dollar bills on a co-workers bulletin board. How come the Secret Service isn't after him?

     
  • At 7:05 PM, Blogger Jacob said…

    I agree. It isn't street preachers or little incidents such as this that worry me. It's the sheer number of politicians in Congress pandering to the religious right, legislating in favour of discrimination and being morons in general.

    But I have a question for you AICS, and any other readers: If someone walked up to you and said to accept Allah or burn in hell, would you take it lightly or get offended? My guess is the latter.

     
  • At 7:11 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    FKAB, I would be more likely to start a dialogue that began with, "Well, according to the Bible...."

    No offense, I would just reject it and attempt to convince him how I see things. He would also be free to reject my belief.

     
  • At 7:13 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    Thanks Skyepuppy. I think this secret service person is simply out of control. What shocks me is the judge supporting it. One anti-religion zealot to this degree is an anomoly. Two should inspire anger as well as concern.

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger Jacob said…

    FKAB, I would be more likely to start a dialogue that began with, "Well, according to the Bible...."

    To which the Muslim would reply, 'well, according to the koran...'

    You would get nowhere.

     
  • At 12:15 PM, Blogger HRM Deborah of Israel and the Messenger of Peace said…

    What is hard these days is there is a war on religious thinking and too many people have to stand in defense for God while everyone thinks their religion is right and the other’s are wrong, it seems like these days.

    The three major religions in the world all say if you do not follow their religion you’re destiny is hell. When all is said and done, it is God who will judge who will see hell.

    Myself, I do see Islam as the true religion, but I for one have never pressured anyone to become apart of my religion; to the contrary of the news media many of us are not religiously blind, while we may not agree with some of the tenets of the other religions any more then these other religions agree with ours doesn’t mean we feel we should poke anyone the back to join.

    One thing you have to remember the three major religions are related and one needs to respect these other religions.

    There is a radical element in the world in all three major religions that has set out to destroy people different then themselves and these people will be the ones to be in judgment, not the average person.

    As for “formally known as blasphemer,” for saying, ‘to which the Muslim would reply, 'well, according to the Koran…;' you get the buzzer. lol

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    FKAB, my claim was not that I would get anywhere. My point was I would not be offended and I would take the opportunity to discuss my viewpoint.

    Now if you told me I had to believe in the FSM or go to hell, I might get offended. Just kidding. :)

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    Housewife,

    I for one do not understand war over religion or even politics for that matter. I simply express what I believe and others can take it or leave it.

     
  • At 1:29 PM, Blogger HRM Deborah of Israel and the Messenger of Peace said…

    AICS, on religion I agree; as for politics I think every since this came into existence people have been going back and forth with their ideals of who is right and who is wrong. To each his own!

    As for giving your opinion that is what is called in America as “Freedom of Speech” and you should, I did not grill you on that point; I was more expressing towards FKAB expressions.

    I must admit you sound a bit stressed, if you are; I hope things get better for you soon.

     
  • At 12:40 AM, Blogger Jacob said…

    Sorry if I was being presumptuous Housewife!

    I agree completely with your views on how religion should be treated. To echo those very wise sentiments, To each his own!

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Blogger HRM Deborah of Israel and the Messenger of Peace said…

    FKAB, It is ok and Thank you very much. :)

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home