The Logic Lifeline

A logical approach to sorting out world events. Where logic, opinion and speculation are combined to produce a reasoned, but entertaining reading experience. The unofficial hometown conservative blog of Woodridge, Il

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Time to withdraw from sports?

There have been some shocking stories of the behavior of athletes. Here is a story of two Fresno athletes charged with the rape of an 11 yr. old girl. There is the Duke rape story (even if they are innocent, the charges are very serious). There are quite a number of sports figures charged and/or convicted of rape in recent years: Mike Tyson, Koby Bryant, etc. The number of assaults by athletes against women is higher than the average. There are those who abuse illegal drugs like Daryl Strawberry and Michael Irvin. There are even murderers like Carlos Dotson. Of course, O.J. still hasn't found the "real killer" yet of his ex-wife and her boyfriend.

While 99% of sports figures may be law abiding citizens that honorably serve the entertainment needs of our country, these heinous activities of the 1% cast such a bad cloud over the rest it may simply be time to pack it in. Maybe it is time we withdraw from the world of sports. I think it is so bad, we should not even have a timetable to withdraw from sports. The withdrawal should be immediate. Close down all the bases where sports activities are held such as ball parks, football arenas, and basketball stadiums. Even ice arenas need to go to prevent anyone from getting their knee wacked with a pipe while vying for Olympic gold. Bring our athletes home NOW.

12 Comments:

  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger Malott said…

    I remember a time when you could at least turn to college athletics to get away from the greed and bad behavior, but not anymore.

    There are still schools such as Duke and Notre Dame... the military academies still have standards. Still it's sad and I fear it may be a feflection of trends in our country's character.

     
  • At 2:14 PM, Blogger Joe Smoe: American Citizen said…

    Malott said...
    I remember a time when you could at least turn to college athletics to get away from the greed and bad behavior, but not anymore.

    There are still schools such as Duke and Notre Dame... the military academies still have standards. Still it's sad and I fear it may be a feflection of trends in our country's character.

    1:14 PM

    You got that right. I knew it was all down hill years ago when Prison Culture was elevated to pop Culture. You got guys like Ray Lewis of the Ravens that was involved with murder and still plays and guys like Allen Iverson that it is obvious that if he wasn't playing ball this thinly veiled THUG would be in jail.

    The whole situation says it all about our society when those that produce the least make the most, as well as, being elevated to almost god like status. But, when those that contribute the most to society ..ex. teachers, that teach the leaders and citizens of tomorrow ask for a miniscule raise the Yuppies of this country Whine.

    With the state of our educational system, the examples of our sports and Political figures todays youth is being told through example that get as much as you can through any means..just don't get caught.

    What has the nation become??

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger SkyePuppy said…

    Malott and Joe (especially you, Joe),

    You guys missed the subtle wit and "burn!" effect of AICS's killer analogy.

    Maybe because I'm not a sport, I saw his point more clearly: It's not about sports!

    It's about our military.

    People on the Left are screaming for us to bring our troops home NOW, because they're THUGS raping and pillaging in Iraq and Afghanistan. So we should just shut the whole thing down. NOW. And we should ignore the 99% who do the right thing and pursue their mission with honor.

    AICS,

    Brilliant! You sucked them right in and they didn't even know what hit 'em.

     
  • At 4:01 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    SkyePuppy,

    I guess it was a little more subtle than I thought, but yes you picked up on my point. I was scratching my head wondering how I was going to respond and you helped me out.

    Thanks for your comments of appreciation. Comments of all sorts keep me going. I like both the thrill of debate as well as appreciation. It is the silence that is the hardest.

    Malott and Joe,

    If it helps for the real sports world I like your comments. I don't often dive in to satire but for some reason today it simply came to me.

     
  • At 8:24 PM, Blogger LA Sunset said…

    I love good sarcasm, especially being in the cynical mood that I am in right now.

    Thanks. ;)

     
  • At 9:55 PM, Blogger Jacob said…

    Er, I got the joke AICS.

    I'm just a little disappointed in Joe right about now.

     
  • At 10:59 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    I can't be serious all of the time. :)

     
  • At 12:54 AM, Blogger SkyePuppy said…

    AICS,

    Don't let the silence bother you. Sometimes other people just don't follow the same wavelength. More's the pity for them.

    For myself, I can't understand why others don't thrill at the sight of a python that ruptured after swallowing an aligator, or at the thought of France being overrun by enormous bullfrogs. Hmmm. Go figure! I guess there's just no accounting for taste.

    But you mustn't let it get to you. The silence is necessary for helping you appreciate the uproar when it comes. :o)

     
  • At 9:30 AM, Blogger Malott said…

    Uhhhhhhhhhhhh.... Whaaaat?

     
  • At 12:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hehe....I was getting all warmed up to blast away while I read it.

    That was slick.

    Just as a side note, I think pro players deserve every penny they get, and that college players should get paid as well.

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    all,

    I 've had a lot of fun with this post. Thanks for all your comments and for being good "sports".

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home