The Logic Lifeline

A logical approach to sorting out world events. Where logic, opinion and speculation are combined to produce a reasoned, but entertaining reading experience. The unofficial hometown conservative blog of Woodridge, Il

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Wash Your Hands or Die

This story interested me as bathroom hygiene is a topic very close to my heart. One can only appreciate the seriousness of handwashing by viewing the subject at a microbiological level. Apparently there is somebody that takes this subject even more seriously than I do. According to this Local6 report, failure to wash hands after doing bathroom business less to an argument, threats, a brawl and a stabbing. According to the story:
According to a police report, the fight broke out Thursday after Eric Jennings Kisiah, 27, became upset about a customer's apparent hygiene failure at the Tumbleweeds Sports Bar. Witnesses told police Kisiah confronted the customer and two of his friends, calling them names, telling them they were dirty and threatening to "slash their throats." Kisiah then hid near a shrub outside the bar and charged the group as they left, the police report said. One of the men, 25-year-old Morgan Jackson, was stabbed four times, police said. He was listed in good condition after surgery.
Of course I would never commit violence over this. I don't even bring it up verbally when I see it. It does disgust me when somebody leaves the restroom without washing their hands. The biological infestation that is swarming on their unwashed hands makes the person a virtual biological weapon infesting everything they touch. It is especially critical when the person will be involved in food preparation. Unwashed hands in this case have actually caused the death of unsuspecting victims eating the food prepared by a hygiene failure. A couple of times my wife has noticed a worker in a restaurant leaving the bathroom without washing hands and has gone to the manager. My wife is certified in food preparation and knows the damage this can cause.

Without getting too graphic, my other bathroom hygiene gripe is when male visitors stand in a stall and fail to lift the seat. Even in the professional environment I work in, I often go in and am met with a splattered seat that rivals blood spatter scenes in gore movies. I think to myself, "What kind of absolute moron does something like this?" And what kind of moron walks away leaving it like this? I have recently been investigating to try and catch the culprit without success.

While these issues are very serious and concern me, to commit violence over them is certainly going too far. I do hope if any reader is guilty of these hygience failures, you would consider making the world a better place by correcting this serious shortcoming.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger Return to Westernesse said…

    Once a few years ago, I was staying at a summer camp and conference center as a sponsor for teens that were attending the camp. Being there without my wife, I was placed in a hotel-style room with two other male roommates. Imagine my disgust when I saw the "splatter" you speak of on the toilet seat in our bathroom! I mean this wasn't a public restroom at a gas station; it was our own private bathroom that these guys and I would be using all week! I couldn't believe the lack of courtesy that one of these guys was showing. I figured anyone who was that unconcerned with hygiene in his own private bathroom probably had other hygiene issues as well, so I chose to use other restrooms as much as I could for the rest of the week.

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger SkyePuppy said…

    This happens in women's restrooms too.

    I once saw this sign in a stall:

    If you sprinkle when you tinkle,
    Please be neat and wipe the seat.


    Unfortunately, unhygienic boors are usually illiterate too.

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    eh...urine's pretty clean and sterile. you're being a bit of a scaremonger here, aics, in my opinion. that's not to say that it is polite to wipe up if your aim is a bit off...

    kind of like letting your kids eat dirt every now and then...makes them stronger and more resistant!

    that being said, i ALWAYS perform the obligatory hand rinse after using the loo. I even use soap when necessary. Thanks to my pops. So don't punch me on suspicion if we ever cross paths..:)

     
  • At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I go a bit OCD about these things too. Bathrooms are gross enough without idiots leaving without washing hands.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home