The Logic Lifeline

A logical approach to sorting out world events. Where logic, opinion and speculation are combined to produce a reasoned, but entertaining reading experience. The unofficial hometown conservative blog of Woodridge, Il

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Why Does the Media Ignore What You Want to Read

I have mentioned before that one (of many of course) of my pet peeves of the media is when they write a story that completely skips over the most obvious point that you want to know. I'm going to have to come up with a name for this phenomenon.

There is a story about how Rudi Guliani is telling the media to back off of his wife. According to WCBSTV.com:
The former New York City mayor is fending off increased media scrutiny of his third wife -- the former Judith Nathan. Rudy is now asking the media to back off.

"Attack me all you want," Giuliani said. "There's plenty to attack me about. Please do it. But maybe, you know, show a little decency."
Ok, now what is the first thing you want to know after reading that assuming this is the first you have read on the subject? If you are like me you want to know what the media is saying about his wife to get Rudi's feathers all ruffled. However, the story is virtually silent on the subject. The entire offering on the subject is in the quote above: "increased media scrutiny". Is it laziness? Is it a total disconnect from what details are critical to the story? This is a harmless example, but often the topic is much more important and they just breeze over the key element.

As for Rudi, the story points out that this request is odd because he recently "...suggested he might invite his wife into cabinet meetings." I don't know about you but that gives me the creeps. It reminds my of then First Lady Hillary Clinton stating, "We are the president". Another unconfirmed, unelected cabinet member is not what we need.

Anyway, we can only hope the media will do its job in this and other areas.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 12:50 PM, Blogger SkyePuppy said…

    How about "Ignorting" when they should be Reporting?

    The Giuliani's wife in the Cabinet meeting thing was a question thrust upon him during an interview, along the lines of, "Would you let your wife come into a Cabinet meeting?" And he said something like, "Oh, sure."

    He has later stated that he has no intention of having her as a Cabinet member or making her into a GOP version of Co-President Hillary.

    I think there may be other things the press is criticizing about her, but the Cabinet question should be a non-issue.

     
  • At 2:07 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    Thanks for the clarification on how this cabinet thing went down. Must have been AP that started it. Just think what they would have said if he would have said "No".

    "Ignorting" is pretty good. How about CFL Reporting for Central Field Loss. This is the vision problem that is the opposite of Tunnel Vision. They see everything except the center.

     
  • At 8:06 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    What a whacky theory the GLMC is.

    Since most media I see or read is as far to your right as they are to my left I am not surprised you feel that way.

    As for the Pelosi story, every where I read about it I saw a mention of the accompanying GOP.

    After consideration I don't have as much of a problem with Pelosi going to Syria as others. I think the media will attempt to apply some level of success to her visit, even so far as to credit the release of the hostages in Iran to her. Actually there may be some credence to that as the Iranian nutbag probably used the timing of her visit to send Bush a zinger.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home