The Logic Lifeline

A logical approach to sorting out world events. Where logic, opinion and speculation are combined to produce a reasoned, but entertaining reading experience. The unofficial hometown conservative blog of Woodridge, Il

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Criminal Movie Critique of Raging Bull

Some time back Entertainment Weekly posted their list of the top 100 best movies of all time. I had seen many of them. I thought many of them belonged. There were a few at the top I had never seen, kept hearing good things about and thought it was time to see. I borrowed the Godfather series from my brother and my wife and I watched them all in amazement that we had gone all this time and not seen them. Definite candidates for the list, even justifiable to be at the top. I went to the library and found Citizen Kane. I always liked Orson Wells and agreed that this was a definite classic.

Recently, Raging Bull appeared in the "On Demand" list of free movies. I saw it was about a boxer and remembered it was high on the list so we sat down to watch it. I must clearly say that I have rarely seen anything so utterly bad. I did like the fight scenes, but when it came to the life of the lead character it was simply juvenile. The dialog was talentless and the time sequences were choppy. It was completely painful to watch and in the end, there was no payoff for having gone through the exercise. I could not have felt more empty if I had instead spent 2 hours staring at a white wall.

Entertainment Weekly has this film as #5 best of all time. The American Film Institute lists Raging Bull #4 best of American movies. Roger Ebert lists it as the best film of all time dealing with the theme of jealousy calling it the "Othello" of our times. I can only respond to this criminal movie critique by placing my head in my hands.

My question to the readers is "where am I missing the boat here?" Perhaps you have seen the movie and also think it is great. Please enlighten me. I cannot for the life of me come to any other conclusion than that the movie was written by a junior high school student. The acting and filming were pretty good, but resting on a worthless foundation.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At 5:54 PM, Blogger SkyePuppy said…

    Never saw it. Never wanted to see it. But there's supposed to be some classic scene. Maybe it's that scene that makes everyone think the movie is great.

    But it can't be as great as Pride & Prejudice.

     
  • At 7:13 PM, Blogger saaban said…

    raging bull, is a movie that showed the human nature at it's worse. I don't know if you noticed, the scenes that related to the bad times in the boxer's personal life,were shot in black and white.that was done on purpose, to show that his jealousy was one dimension. the good times had color. another thing that you failed to notice was that, the boxing scenes were shot hand held . the point was so that the viewer would feel as if he is doing the boxing. the blurry scenes when the fighter get hit really hard are suppose to be what the fighter is experiencing.the crowed in the stands, a lot of emphasize were put into that, as to show the animal like nature of the humans. we love to see blood, and were shouting for one to kill the other. if you missed all these points, i am not surprised you didn't like the move.

     
  • At 7:42 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    Skyepuppy,

    I am not sure what the classic scene was even after seeing it. I loved Pride and Prejudice. I have only seen the most recent version of it. My wife and I went to the famous Tivoli theater in Downers Grove to see it. The theater is one of the most beautiful in the world. The Tivoli and the movie itself was a beautiful experience.

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger Jacob said…

    Where is Donnie Darko on that list!???

    It's a crime.

     
  • At 8:22 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    Saaban,

    Thanks for your comments. I posted on this to try and find what I am missing and I appreciate your attempt to help.

    raging bull, is a movie that showed the human nature at it's worse.

    I don't know about worst, but I get your point. Movies like this usually show how men triumph through the worst of human nature. No such thing here, which makes it a downer to me.

    As for the b/w color scenes, I did not notice the difference. I knew most was in b/w and only remember the family videos were in color. I did admit the filming was good. The fight scenes were very good.

    As for the crowd shouting and loving to see blood, it is true humans can be animalistic. However, boxing is hardly the worst of man's animal behavior.

    You make good points. I still think the dialog was terrible and the scenes choppy. During his courtship of Vickie all I could think was that both he and she were dorks. He for his lame courtship skills and her for falling for them.

    Stick around. Raging Bull fans are going to hate my next movie critique.

     
  • At 8:32 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    Donnie Darko must be in the same place my favorite cult movies are (The Abominable Dr. Phibes and Soylent Green.)

     
  • At 9:42 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    Seriously though, I am shocked that The Shawshank Redemption is not on the list. Loved the movie and love Morgan Freeman.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home