The Logic Lifeline

A logical approach to sorting out world events. Where logic, opinion and speculation are combined to produce a reasoned, but entertaining reading experience. The unofficial hometown conservative blog of Woodridge, Il

Sunday, September 02, 2007

There's No Need to Fear Underdog is Here

Last night I went to see Underdog with Olive and Chip. I realize critic purists are going to highly blanch at my positive review of Underdog after so soundly thrashing Raging Bull. Sorry, I calls 'em as I sees 'em. Underdog was a truly wonderful experience from beginning to end. My mouth is a little stiff today from sitting through the entire movie with a stupid grin on my face.

First, let me take a timeout for a little disclaimer. I have a beagle and used to have two beagles before we lost the older, Molly, one last year. The dog who played in this movie looked very much like Molly. Second, I was a big fan of the Underdog cartoon in my youth. Third, the boy in the movie who is a little tough but later develops a soft spot for "Shoeshine / Underdog" reminded me very much of Chip. Chip is one tough cookie as a teenager, but he really has a soft spot for animals and even people who have problems. So these factors may have caused me to like the movie more than warranted.

I am not normally a fan of these movies that have the dogs and cats mouths moving. This one was done especially well. The bad guy - Barsinister is a bit campy, but he actually did very well at the obvious goal of mimicking the old cartoon character. The movie and dialog was very entertaining and the Underdog scenes were extremely well done. I am hoping there will be a sequel.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 10:39 AM, Blogger SkyePuppy said…

    I've been planning on avoiding the Underdog movie because I loved the cartoon as a kid and I hate movies with "talking" animals. And nobody sounds like Wally Cox. I didn't want the image of Underdog to be ruined by a bad movie.

    But if you liked it...

    (And I loved the Rocky & Bulwinkle movie...)

     
  • At 11:44 AM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    Now I am feeling the pressure of risking ruining your image of the old cartoon. Don't worry, it will always have a special place in your heart.

    Also, I say a pox on all the critics I read that downed the movie. No, it was not a work of theatrical genius, but it was worth my money and my time to see it. I may even buy the DVD (after time pushes the price down of course).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home