The Logic Lifeline

A logical approach to sorting out world events. Where logic, opinion and speculation are combined to produce a reasoned, but entertaining reading experience. The unofficial hometown conservative blog of Woodridge, Il

Thursday, December 08, 2005

A revisit of the Aaron Brown - Anderson Cooper Post

On November 2, I posted on CNN's decision to replace Aaron Brown with a second hour of Anderson Cooper. While I think the decision to oust Brown was sound based on ratings, I did not see how the other half of the decision would help CNN. So far it appears I am correct.

At the time of the decision Brown was pulling around 687,000 and Cooper around 765,000 for an average of 726,000. I did not see 2 hours of Cooper to boost that average. I have found a great website that shows ratings called mediabistro.com which lists ratings, graphs, trends, etc. Here are a few samples of Cooper:

Date Hour1 Hour2
Dec 6 647,000 447,000
Dec 5 731,000 419,000
Dec 2 763,000 490,000
Dec 1 654,000 519,000
Nov 30 635,000 540,000

This averages to 584,500 per hour. You can see on the mediabistro website that CNN posted a graph showing Cooper narrowing the demographic gap for a selected set of dates, but other dates since show Cooper being crushed. In my original post I stated "If we apply the law of diminished returns, the second hour of Cooper will likely be less than the 687,000 mark." That seems to be the case as shown above.

I don't have a particular bone against Anderson Cooper. I could not take more than 5 minutes of Aaron Brown but my threshold with Cooper is about 15 seconds. I think this may show to beware when you see the words "rising star" describing a news anchor. The whole thing seemed manufactured to me from the start. I see ads for Cooper all the time on CNN's website. They seem to be trying to salvage the situation. The question is how long before he is back to one hour?

1 Comments:

  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger LA Sunset said…

    I was in Atlanta a couple of months ago and toured the CNN building. (Not as a VIP, just the nickel tour.)

    The tour was set up to tout how CNN was the first. Always the first network to do this, to do that, and so on. Never the best. They couldn't say they were the top rated in anything and you could tell it ate them, a little.

    (And just so you know, I was good and didn't rub anything in)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home