The Logic Lifeline

A logical approach to sorting out world events. Where logic, opinion and speculation are combined to produce a reasoned, but entertaining reading experience. The unofficial hometown conservative blog of Woodridge, Il

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Katie follows her heart and gut to embattled CBS

Katie Couric has announced her plan to leave the "Today" show to become the first solo female network news anchor. She states:
"...after listening to my heart and my gut -- two things that have served me pretty well in the past -- I've decided I'll be leaving 'Today' at the end of May"
So that explains her political leanings - using heart and gut instead of head. I have posted on this topic when it was merely a possibility. I think now as I thought then, that this is bad for Katie and CBS. She currently enjoys some success on the Today show. I think that early in the morning anybody will watch somebody that perky and upbeat as Katie is on camara. And what else is on in the morning outside of cable?

I do not think it will be that hard to replace her at Today. How hard can it be to find somebody who is so-so looking, doesn't think very deeply yet is upbeat that time in the morning? I actually think this is a win for the Today show, especially as it gets them out of the huge contract with the "Diva". I also predict their ratings will rise. I can think of a recommendation that would be good for both parties invovled: Paula Zahn. Zahn's star has been falling since leaving Fox and I think she only has a year or two at CNN before the ax comes down. A move to NBC would probably give her 10-15 years to finish her career and I think she would do well.

I again predict that Katie will have an initial fanfare at CBS that could last up to a year. Her coverage of the upcoming election could really sink her if she is as vacuously partisan as she has been on the Today show. She is both an intellectual and political lightweight and it shows easily once she leaves the "green zone" of broadcasting. The alternate media will take her apart if she tries. Once that starts to happen, it is over. Due to her status as first female solo anchor it will be extremely difficult for CBS to remove her once she is in. Being embroiled in controversy and tanked ratings will not be enough to swiftly end the pain.

My comments are not to be mistaken for my hoping for her or CBS' downfall. I am merely connecting the dots of her past performance with her new position and seeing an inevitable catastrophe. Well CBS, you are now saddled with her. You were warned.

9 Comments:

  • At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Paula Zahn?! Don't you realize she's another WHITE news anchor who's already had her fair shake? Surely if you think it can't be that hard "to find somebody who is so-so looking, doesn't think very deeply yet is upbeat that time in the morning," then it must not be too hard to find someone with those characteristics who is also a person of color. (Even better, maybe someone of Arab decent would be a great choice.) I bring this up because, since you are a conservative, Christian, white male, you ARE therefore, racist as well. I think I'll consult Cynthia McKinney on this issue.

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    Maybe Esther from Sanford and Son is still around? Just kidding.

    Well, I have been called on the carpet! LOL

    On the serious side since you bring it up I would recommend Diane Burns, a Chicago local.

    Back to the funny side (and another white woman) how about that woman that was in the canoe in 1 foot of water. She could take years to exact her revenge on Katie for laughing at her.

     
  • At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know my comment took your post in a direction you never intended; but for some reason, as I read your statements about Katie Couric, I couldn't help but think, what if he were saying these things about a TV personality that happened to be black? It's amazing how, in today's politically correct climate, a person's skin color can dramatically change the context of a person's statements.

    By the way, I don't understand the reference to the woman in the canoe. I must have missed that one, not being an avid Today Show watcher.

     
  • At 5:26 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    I know my comment took your post in a direction you never intended

    Those are sometimes fun. I usually don't mind that and am guilty of it on other blogs.

    By the way, I don't understand the reference to the woman in the canoe

    Here is a link to the canoe story

     
  • At 6:59 PM, Blogger LA Sunset said…

    I heard that Andy Rooney said on Imus this morning that he knows of nobody that is particularly enthused about her coming to CBS.

    I know one thing, CBS and Couric are taking a big risk. Couric more so than CBS.

    I won't watch her, I never watch her.

     
  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    I think in the end Katie will have a shortened career and CBS will get out of the news business. They can't let go of their bias and they can't make money with it. Jun 2007 will be the end.

     
  • At 8:41 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    I think in the end Katie will have a shortened career and CBS will get out of the news business. They can't let go of their bias and they can't make money with it. Jun 2007 will be the end.

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a prediction! Such a decision to get out of the news business would be a costly one for CBS since they signed Katie for $15 million over 5 years. And people complain about athletes making too much money. At least in professional sports, people pay to go see their favorite teams and athletes perform. How can we expect any level of objectivity and legitimate journalism when there is that kind of money being thrown around? Of course, this is not the first instance of loads of money being paid to someone for being the face of the news, but reading the numbers just reminded me that these people are more performers than they are journalists.

     
  • At 5:56 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    I like going out on a limb

     

Post a Comment

<< Home