The Logic Lifeline

A logical approach to sorting out world events. Where logic, opinion and speculation are combined to produce a reasoned, but entertaining reading experience. The unofficial hometown conservative blog of Woodridge, Il

Monday, February 19, 2007

Funniest Statement by Matt Lauer

Since I don't ever watch the "Today" show, I am not sure of the humor abilities of Matt Lauer. I do know that most quotes I read from him usually do not incite laughter. Today is an exception to that trend as his analogy on the recent vote for the non-binding resolution is hilarious. Per NewsBuster's Mark Finkelstein, Matt said:
Lauer: "The Democrats in the Senate failed to pass this vote so they could even debate this Iraq strategy and there's even some who are talking about possibly bringing up the idea of revoking the 2002 authorization to go to war. If they can't pass a kind of symbolic vote, how do they ever have the kind of strength to do something more serious?"

Russert agreed that "it's going to be very difficult."
Matt wasn't done: "Looking at what happened in the House . . . over the weekend, basically the House did pass this resolution saying they oppose the surge in troops, but put yourself in the position of Joe and Mary Smith, living somewhere across this country right now, and you've watched these politicians for more than a month talk about passing a symbolic vote. Does it amount to little more than them ringing someone's doorbell and running away?"


That is a perfect analogy. The funny thing is that I am sure this view is shared by the far left AND the far right. I have a hard time believing that many in between are impressed by this meaningless gesture.

By the way, how many readers out there have actually played what we called "Ding Dong Ditch"? I must admit I played it a few times. The most memorable is when we went to my Aunt's house in Cicero. My older brother, my two cousins and I played it on Thanksgiving. After our mischief, we came back into the house looking like angels. Mom, if you are reading this - I hate to break it to you but I wasn't ALWAYS an angel.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You broke my heart telling this story because I always thought you were perfect.

    Love,
    Mom

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    Ha! I guess I'll have to keep the rest to myself so I don't overwhelm you with grief. :)

     
  • At 2:38 PM, Blogger Return to Westernesse said…

    We both know it would take a lot more than a "Ding-Dong-Ditch" story for you to lose your favorite-son status.

     
  • At 4:30 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    Mom doesn't have a favorite. Of course usually that is what the favorite always says.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home