The Logic Lifeline

A logical approach to sorting out world events. Where logic, opinion and speculation are combined to produce a reasoned, but entertaining reading experience. The unofficial hometown conservative blog of Woodridge, Il

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Getting Into Shape

The one and only picture of myself I have posted on my blog shows I need to trim down a little in the abdominal region. My arms and upper torso have not lost all of my muscular days when I worked in the blue collar world. My wife tells me that my legs are still the envy of most men. The middle, however, is where it all has concentrated (unless you want to make a "fat head" wise-crack).

I have been on a very healthful reduced-fat diet for 3 years now. I eat very little outside of meals - nothing most days. I am fairly active for having a desk job. I have to walk about a half mile each day from and to my car. I use the stairs often. I am always walking to other buildings in my complex. I work around the house a lot. While I hope that will result in a healthier life, it has done nothing to reduce my "girth".

I must say that I really hate daily mundane exercise. It is not so much that I hate the exersion. Rather I hate the mindlessness of the time. When I go to the YMCA and work on the eliptical for 30-60 minutes I die 7 deaths of boredom. Well, too bad. I am stating here and now on this blog that I am committed to a massive reduction once and for all. My goal is to lose 40 lbs. and have abs like Chris Malott! So I am going to say here and now that I weigh 220 lbs. and have a waist measurement of 41.5. I know this is too much information for some of you, but bear with me as I use my blog to register my committment. Look for future postings as I make progress. I will only be posting when I lose either 10 lbs or an inch. I hope to have a significant change when I go to my son's Marine Graduation in May.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

  • At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How very Bridget Jones of you.

     
  • At 12:44 AM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    I didn't see it, so I don't quite follow. I doubt if it's a compliment, though. A well, I have to use all the motivation I can find. An announcement to the world is a start.

     
  • At 8:34 AM, Blogger Malott said…

    A local high school opens its door at 5 AM and about 20 people - including me - walk the halls for exercise. I walk [fast] for 30 minutes - while listening to podcast sermons on my iPod.

    I really enjoy it.

    But I really wish I had your self-control in my diet. Sounds as if you've got that part down.

     
  • At 9:19 AM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    At 5am I am in a temporary coma. If such abs are only earned before the cock crows, I fear I am doomed.

    My abdominal situation is a genetic condition born and bred in the hills of West Virginia. It is a tough gene that just does not want to give up. My ancestors thought it was a "beer belly". I came along never having had a beer in my life and yet have the belly. I think it is an "air belly" and my family gets it just by breathing.

     
  • At 9:20 AM, Blogger SkyePuppy said…

    AICS,

    I've been planning on posting about it (not about you, but the topic in general), but haven't found the time yet. Get the book, "You On A Diet" by Mehmet Oz & another author. My friend the cardiac nurse asked one of her cardiologists about Dr. Oz, and he said the good doctor is VERY well respected in the medical community.

    According to the book, your belly is putting your heart at risk (he explains how with relatively simple explanations & cartoons). The whole point of the book is to reduce your waist measurement for good health, and his first requirement is exactly what Chris is doing: Walk 30 minutes a day. Even before you start dieting. If you can't bring yourself to do that (it doesn't have to be at temporary-coma time), then you won't be sticking with any other healthy habits.

    If you have access to Costco, the book is just under $14 there. Elsewhere, it's probably priced in the 20s.

    By the way, bellies always look worse when you're sitting down and leaning forward. I'm sure you look much better when you're standing up.

     
  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    Thanks Skyepuppy. The large waist never looks good. At work I have a lot of window reflections and it doesn't matter what angle or position I am in I always see it looks bad.

    I am especially embarrassed standing next to my "trophy wife" whose waist is about the size of my thigh. And I was never pregnant twice.

    As for the health issues, I am sure that is the case. Sitting most of the day I am annoyed by the constant pressure it puts on my upper chest. Aside from annoying I am sure it strains the heart.

    I will keep the book in mind. I may thumb through it to get a few pointers (El Cheapo strikes again).

     
  • At 11:28 AM, Blogger SkyePuppy said…

    I will keep the book in mind. I may thumb through it to get a few pointers (El Cheapo strikes again).

    You know, there's this brand-new thing I heard about that you might be interested in. I think they call it a... "Public Library." Maybe they put one of those near you... ;0)

     
  • At 11:55 PM, Blogger paw said…

    Good. Say you're going to do it, then do it, and it will happen.

    If motivation is an issue, you might try wrapping in a secondary goal, like 10k or a marathon. You could totally be ready to go for the Chicago marathon on October 7.

    I don't have full knowledge of this, but what I know of the South Beach diet seems strong to me. Basically in addtion to getting your fat intake right, you also avoid processed items, like white bread and pop tarts and chips. I've seen it work, and I think it claims to target the belly.

    What's that saying about opinions again, everyone's got something?

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Return to Westernesse said,

    AICS,

    I, too, am unhappy with the state of my health. So I have decided to take up pipe-smoking and playing the violin. Those two things (along with the occasional cocaine injection) seemed to keep Sherlock Holmes in the best of health, so why shouldn't it work for me too?

     
  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger All_I_Can_Stands said…

    You'll not only be in good health, but have a great mind.

    Ahh, Sir Doyle what were ye thinkin?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home